MedBiome Inc. was launched in 2018 as the result of technologies developed at the University of Ottawa.
MedBiome focuses on the development of Precision Microbiome Therapeutics and Precision Microbiome Nutrition that target the production of specific metabolites by the human microbiome. MedBiome’s core technology, called RapidAIM, allows the rapid screening of compounds against individual human microbiomes. RapidAIM provides unprecedented insight into the metabolism of the microbiome. This insight accelerates the discovery of compounds that target the production of specific metabolites by the human microbiome. RapidAIM can also be used to:
- de-risk compounds.
- stratify patients based on their microbiome responses.
- understand how drugs affect the microbiome.
- understand how the microbiome affects drugs.
- other applications.
Using RapidAIM, MedBiome is focused on discovery and development of Precision Microbiome Therapeutics and Precision Microbiome Nutrition that target the human microbiome to modulate the production of specific metabolites, metabolic pathways and enzymes.
MedBiome is developing compounds that target the human microbiome for four disease areas all with significant unmet medical needs. These include:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease for Pediatrics (IBD).
- Early stage Alzheimer’s Disease (AD).
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Colorectal Cancer (CRC).
- focuses on screening compounds against individual microbiome.
- develops compound libraries that can reach the gut microbiome.
- provides industry leading functional metaproteomics, metagenomics and metabolomics approaches.
- provides leading bioinformatics and software tools to assess the effects of drugs on the microbiome.